
Mother's Day has always been a little difficult in this family. Bill has always tried so hard to make it special but the kids were never really very into it. They never owned it, so it never meant much to them. It's always been a bit depressing...
I think maybe it's because when you are raising a family, really, every day is Mother's Day. That's what mothering is about. The day to day. That is where one of the greatest blessings come from, doing exactly what you are made/meant to do. It is just a rich and rewarding experience being a mother. Nothing extra is desired at all.... So Mother's Day always seemed a bit contrived in our family... A struggle for ALL involved!
Then you go and get slapped in the face with an empty nest on Mother's Day and it's more like "OUCH"! Maybe the forced Mother's Days were not so bad. Today is going to be SO SAD! Seeing all those young mothers at church finding meaning and purpose in their lives... When I, now, almost 47, four wonderful children later, two blessed with spouses, the other two doing well at finding their own path in life.... I am faced with, "Oh my, who am I?"
I often wonder if the young mothers at our church look at me and think...., "She knows nothing, she has no children..." Since we are at a new church this last year, no one knows me, at all." or "How sad, look at that couple, they have no family." I am just saying, "I wonder what goes through their young minds when the see Bill & I all alone, but together...."
I have come to the realization that my life and identity has been in the raising of my family. In which I am almost done. (Well in a way) Of course we are never done.... It's just less than the day to day it has been for so very long. I am at a season of change, a change that I do not know or foresee. Because of that, Mother's Day can be a frightening thing!
Heh, but then I was surprised ( a surprise is very hard to pull off with me) by my lovely daughter Heidi, flying up to spend the day just to be with me. A blessing beyond words! So my Mother's Day was the real deal. It was just so kind and nice of her and so fun and encouraging for me! I am still a Mom and always will be, my kids are just all grown. Yet so wonderfully grown, they are the BEST of the BEST!
Heidi, I and Bill spent the day together and it was a blast. Once we picked her up from MY SURPRISE we promptly phoned Bill's mom (who's birthday it happened to be also) and asked her to meet us for lunch. The four of us had a lovely and delicious lunch together and talked of mothering (thank you Bill for ALWAYS bringing meaningful conversation to the table). We then spent the day just hanging out at home and then walked to the 'Movie House' for dinner and a Flick! We saw Ironman, it was GREAT! See it!
I did get a NEW CAMERA, YAY! For Mother's Day, so more posts' with photos to come! I was trying to figure it out so I kept taking shots of Heidi at the Gas Station. I think it's quite funny how she knows just how to pose! Both of my girls do that, they are so photogenic, it is quite impressive. I just had to put the whole series of shots since they are so cute!





Of course, me being me... We spent the next day taking Heidi shopping! That girl's shoes were literally falling apart, she needed some shopping, BAD! All of my kids know... Get Mom with time... Go shopping get some needed STUFF.
Four great pairs of shoes (we are girls you know) later and some quite fetching dresses! We had a blast, she is a doll and easy to find fun outfits for!

I am SO thankful that I have been blessed to be a wife and mother. There is nothing on this earth that means more to me. I love all of you. I THANK YOU ALL for your calls. Really there is nothing more a women would ever want in her children and children in law, all of you are so wonderful in your own unique ways. I love all 6 of you so very much. Thank you.
Even though every day does not 'feel' like Mother's Day any longer. In my heart in a way it does, because of each of you!
Heid's goal was to CHANGE the course of Mother's Day in our family. She did, it was so fun and not depressing or contrived at all!
Thanks Heidi for taking the time and effort to remind me. I love you so much!

xo
mum
1 comment:
Wow! Thank you for sharing your heart so honestly, elegantly, and profoundly. You have, and always do love your children so well that sometimes I think we should just start all over again because you are so good at it!
Love, Your Husband.
Post a Comment