Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Caribbean Continued...

I am finally feeling caught up at work so I have a little time to get the rest of our trip documented! Sadly my camera, along with a few other items, was stolen from my luggage at the Miami Airport. Thankfully I had taken the time to upload the few pictures I did onto Bill's computer while we were docked in San Juan. Unfortunately those are all I have, the rest are in the hands of a crook. So I can only tell you what we did and did not enjoy the remainder of our cruise!

Our next stop was St. Thomas USVI, which we did not enjoy at all. It was simply hundreds if not thousand of diamond/jewelry stores and junkie tourist stuff. We found it had little to no character. Well other than a harbor called Havensight, where zillion dollar yachts spent their day. Not a place we'd ever care to return to and don't recommend it.

Then another lovely day at sea. Always nice relaxing, lots of sun, formal dress for dinner... I enjoy sea days because I love the view and the gentleness that it brings. I should add here that our entire cruise was extremely calm. Honestly once we were below deck you could not even tell we were on the Ocean. I had no idea what the weather would bring in February, it brought mid 80's and calm seas, a wonderful match!

Next and last stop, Half Moon Key. We were here a few years back on a Family Cruise so we did know what to expect. It is a wonderful private island owned by the cruise line. Set up for enjoying a perfect day in the Caribbean. We got off the ship very early and found a wonderful spot, then ventured down the perfect beach as far as we could go. It was tranquil walking through the warm ocean enjoying the beautiful surroundings.

As we walked down we found the horse stables, which was a good thing... I had booked a horse back ride for us later in the day and Bill was fighting it a tiny bit. Neither of us ride and he tends to be really cautious in unknown circumstances. Running into the stables allowed him to chat with the foreman and see the lovely animals. It set his heart at peace about riding later on in the afternoon.

It was a very good thing because this was our absolute favorite thing the entire week! We saddled up with jeans on and had a ride around the island that was fun and even a little scary at times. Those guys are big and they have a mind of their own! Then we returned to the stables and stripped down to swim wear and they changed the saddles on the horses. After remounting we took the most incredible ride through the ocean. It was breathtaking! I was so filled with joy I could not stop laughing, it was just such a fantastic experience. I will never forget how beautiful it was. Do it; if you ever have an opportunity!

I will save our last day in Miami for another post, but I am going to add a few pictures from earlier in the week for a bit more eye candy.

This guy, I am dubbing him Pelidam, came onboard our first day. He was quite intimidating but seemed lost at the same time.


We were pretty delighted to find this very secluded deck. It was way on top, I think Deck 12 and was very quiet and private.


The view was better than the lower decks and sans crowd it was a perfect spot to hang.


Saucy on the beach in Grand Turk!


A couple of more of Bill's eyeful shots in San Juan. He has such an eye for art!


....


Sun setting in Miami.


Thanks for reading!
x
~ leila

No comments: