Sunday, April 25, 2010

I went to Colorado


I have had a trip scheduled there for months for an Operation Christmas Child Conference, which ended up being a wonderful time and I grew to love and respect the non profit I am involved in even more than I already did. All I will say on this people; no matter who you are, what you believe, what your resources are... Next November pack at least one SHOEBOX, these small gifts are impacting our world for good, one child at a time. One more gift filled shoebox means one more hurting child (out of billions) touched with a message of love & hope. Remember that one person who said or did something for you as a child that you've never forgot; these shoeboxes not only do the same thing they are going to children in extreme situations therefore the message is heard and felt so much more deeply. Okay, done preaching.

It turned out to be even a sweeter deal since Laura moved to Steamboat in February, it was easy to alter my plans and stay a few days longer and fly up even deeper into the Rockies.

Flying 'up' is something else. The plane goes up & up but then on the descent it is a sharp nose dive down onto the airfield. I was a little taken back but looking out and seeing only mountains around us I realized, we are landing in the mountains.


It's that simple. I have lived on the edge of a mountain range for years (the Cascade) but I found the Rockies differed in the fact that they simply never seemed to end.


To say the Steamboat is beautiful is an understatement. It is a town that is the Mountain and is a true Ski Town. I had the luck of hitting it on the last day before 'Mud Season' began and the 'Mountain' was filled with festivities. We spent the early part of the day being entertained by a Pond Skim and enjoyed watching skiers dressed in wacky outfits attempting to make it across the pond successfully. It was very entertaining and we were delighted to learn in the next days' paper that "Captain Underpants" (a very young boy dressed in his cape & whities) took second place. He was by far the cutest competitor and did quite well on the pond!


We then decided to brave up the gondola in order to get another perspective into this lovely setting.


As you proceed up you fully see that this is a town that sits at the base of a mountain.

Since it was a very spring like day it almost made me wish I was on skies, swishing down the slopes. Which is a bit of a joke because I do live in Bend, OR and have not skied in years! But 70 degree weather and skiing seems like a concept I could not only handle but even enjoy, a lot!


You can even see Laura's apartment from here.


So that down there, that's Steamboat and all that around it; I am pretty sure those are the Rocky Mountains. Can you even imagine being a Wagon Trainer....


I have to get Chatty in here. I love this guy and I miss him. He has lived with me so much and at times I admit I wanted to shoot him (he's a bit insane). He is just so cute and I really love him and would never shoot him. I had so much fun just playing with him and walking him.


Hiking up to the 'Frozen Falls' even more beautiful. Studded with what I thought were maybe Birch and snow still deep, white and fresh along with perfect springlike weather.....




Chatham is not much of a mountain goat but he does try.


We could see that the spring melt was fast approaching, it made for an even more breathtaking setting.


Stefan who is 100% outdoor oriented, I am sure is contemplating, "How can I just spend the rest of my life, right here..."


So this is the falls that we were expecting to find completely frozen like they were the last time Laura had visited. What we found were these windows that the season had opened up. The falls roaring behind the frozen wall in full view. I was awestruck.




It saddened me when I loaded the pictures and saw that they did show the majesty of this snapshot of creation. The top 'window' was at least 30 feet tall if not 50. To say this place is a wonder seems trite, you are lucidly drawn in to sit and absorb.


My girl, who I adore.


Along with the boy & his dog who've drawn her to Colorado.


I missed some great photo oops on this next day. Laura and I decided to do some pretty cheesy\touristy type stuff that I failed to record in photos. Let's just say you've never painted pottery till you've done it with a hippie (who seemed quite stoned) and his kitty crawling all over your.... everything.

Along with lots of fun shopping for Laura for a new outfit or two for her upcoming 21st birthday, we ended our afternoon in the tranquility of natural hot springs.


What a cool place, 7 miles into the mountains, pools arranged off the river and springs so as the temps are controlled from cool, to enjoyable, to bearable, to hot!


You can feel the springs coming up from below here and there and oh man, it's warm! And this is my gorgeous Laura getting her body temp to adjust.


I had to get a shot of this on our way back down, being someone who lives in a modern home and who is married to an amazing designer I have grown to appreciate architecture quite a lot. This my friends is amazingly someone's house (I googled it). Really stunning and huge in an unbelievable setting.


Another shot I had to get; Laura tells me this guy is everywhere as you drive across the country but I've never seen him. I would've loved to get on that saddle and get a shot but I try not to be overly dorky.


She is so so beautiful and her heart is even more so than that amazing smile. My daughters what a blessing they are to my soul and as a mother I could not be more proud.


I will end with this, the foodie that I am. We got a bit obsessed with an Italian restaurant in town and ended our week with yet another meal there. This is my favorite dish on the planet, Spaghetti Bolognese and other than Juri's and mine (who I learned from him) this was the most delicious I have ever had! Yummy.


Thank you Colorado for having sunshine when I was there and being home to my baby girl 'for now', you are not a bad place.

1 comment:

Dirk said...

Colorado is beautiful. One of the few places a clear sunshine filled day can be freezing cold! I enjoyed my visit there, to Denver, Aurora, Colorado Springs and Golden. The tour of the Coors plant was not about amazing views, but was amazing! Mile High stadium was fun too. A California boy like me would have to do some real adjusting to get used to having all four seasons.